Chef ‘repaired’ kitchen gas pipe with gaffer tape

The owner of a former Indian restaurant in Daventry has been fined thousands of pounds for gas safety offences that could have caused an explosion and even fatalities.

Health and safety inspectors discovered a significant release of gas from illegal and improvised repairs to a gas cooker using tin foil and black gaffer tape when they visited high street restaurant Papadoms.

 

A gas engineer subsequently found that the gas supply pipe to the kitchen hob unit had also broken and been repaired with gaffer tape.

 

gaspipe

The inspector served four Health and Safety Improvement Notices to replace the hob and a dangerous tandoori oven, which was producing extremely high levels of poisonous carbon monoxide, as well as an emergency gas on/off switch, and a ventilation safety device.

Papadoms’ operating company Saathi Ltd was found guilty of four offences and fined a total of £6,000 at Northampton Magistrates Court.

 

The charges included the failure of the company to ensure the health and safety of company employees and customers.

Similar charges were also brought against the managing director, Shokat Ali, who was also fined £6,000 and ordered to pay costs of £2,500, after he admitted failing to comply with two health and safety improvement notices.

At a previous hearing in July, Papadoms’ former head chef Mr Abul Miah was convicted of carrying out the dangerous repairs and was fined £350 after admitting two offences.

Councillor Richard Atterbury, environment health portfolio holder at Daventry District Council, said the magistrates in the case were “astonished” at the lack of maintenance at the premises.

“In the case of Papadoms, catering equipment had not been inspected or maintained for at least 10 years, and had it not been spotted when it was there could very well have been fatalities at the restaurant for staff or even for its customers and neighbours, so we are very pleased with the outcome of this case.”